In September 2012, during a visit to Mt. McKinley in Alaska, I got into a whimsical discussion with a local guide about what leadership advice a mountain might offer, if it could speak. Just recently, during some “up close and personal” swimming time with green sea turtles in Hawai’i, I somehow ended up in a similar conversation –what leadership advice would sea turtles give us, if they could talk? What leadership lessons can we learn from turtles? Here’s my list:
- Swim with the current (instead of against it)
- Be open to alternate journeys; they may take you to better feeding grounds
- Remember to come up for air
- When you’re in deep and the pressure is heavy, stay calm and swim to the surface
- Navigate your way through stormy waters
- Each day is only one small step in a lengthier journey – think long-term
- Take time to rest on the beach!
So what would you add to my “leadership lessons from a sea turtle” list? Please share by Commenting below.