Are you looking to the next step in your career? If so, you should be tapping into a secret advantage that most job seekers ignore. It’s called the informational interview. Part networking, part information-gathering, and part low-key self-promotion, an informational interview is a powerful way to position yourself as the prime candidate for your perfect job.
Some estimates suggest that up to 80% of open positions are never advertised, they’re filled through word-of-mouth. If all you’re doing is applying for the 20% that are advertised, then you’re trying to be the star in a cast of thousands. The informational interview will shift the odds in your favour by helping you tap into the other 80%.
How do you get an informational interview?
So how does one go about getting an informational interview? So glad you asked 🙂 , because that is exactly what I cover in my latest column in The Globe and Mail that published this morning.
If you get the print version of The Globe, you’ll find this column on page B11. Continue reading